Jensen Hughes Consulting Canada Ltd. has an immediate, full-time job opening for an experienced Code Consultant in Calgary, Alberta office located at 5920 Macleod Trail S.W., Suite 504, Calgary, AB, T2H OK2.
Consider joining the best technical and professional life safety firm where your career is a big runway for growth. We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced individual with strong analytical and creative thinking skills to manage projects, including but not limited to: building code consulting, fire code consulting and fire protection and engineering strategies. We offer excellent and competitive compensation, a company private health plan, and encourage education and career growth opportunities.
This is a permanent hands-on technical position where you will review architectural, mechanical and electrical drawings for pertinent parts of the building code. You will play a key role for clients in identifying cost effective solutions to code compliance and identification of non-compliance. You will also develop (alternative solution) equivalencies to address the approach to Building Code based on a performance approach. A large part of the position will involve reviewing drawings and preparing correspondence and technical reports. A smaller portion of your time will involve field reviews and attending meetings relative to equivalencies or assisting Certified Professionals with their field reviews. The successful applicant will mentor staff, interface with clients, lead building plan reviews, interpret the building code, develop alternative solutions, prepare building design reports, and coordinate with fire protection engineering teams. The candidate will be responsible for the review and implementation of fire strategies.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (preferred this is Fire Protection Engineering Related) or Diploma in Architectural or Fire Protection Engineering Technology with at least 5 years of experience working as a building code consultant or in a related field is required.
• Strong understanding, interpretation and application of the 2019, National Building/Fire Code (Alberta Edition) Knowledge of Alberta Fire Codes.
• Certified Fire Protection Specialist (CFPS) from NFPA is required.
• A good understanding of fire protection engineering principles.
• Desired – ability to lead others, manage projects and make presentations to small groups or teams.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
• Experience in developing building code concepts and equivalencies, conducting building plan reviews, and field reviews would be an asset.
• P.Eng certification is desirable.
• Work hours/schedule – Negotiable hybrid working from home/office policy.
The pay range is $50,000 – $85,000 annually with benefits.
Please send questions about this posting to firstname.lastname@example.org.